Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Out to Piermont

2010 Mileage: 460

I dusted off the road bike last night for close to a hundred miles in the last two days.

Last night after work I rode four laps in the park with Per for 36 miles on the day. The amount of runners in Central Park on Tuesday nights is absolutely insane. I think every runner in New York City must meet there to run on Tuesday nights. Other than the crowd it was business as usual in the park, although the miles felt a lot easier (and went by faster, literally) on the road bike than on the tank I have been riding.

Today the weather was a little colder but still sunny and not too bad (high 30's, low 40's). The day started off great with sleeping in until 9:30 followed by a big breakfast and a good cup of coffee. I guess I need to point out that the good cup of coffee is probably what made this a great morning since I have been out of coffee at home for over a week and we have been drinking Maxwell House in the shop lately. There is nothing wrong with Maxwell House but it is definitely not Starbucks Sumatra. After breakfast I bundled up and headed out to make my way back up to the GW Bridge. Thankfully it was open today and I was able to ride 9w out to Piermont (and then back of course) for 58 miles on the day. The ride went well. I had the right amount of layers on, brought enough food and drank enough water.

I am hoping to do a few more rides of this distance and longer in the next few weeks. It was tough today as I haven't done that kind of distance in awhile, but I really enjoyed riding something out of the ordinary and getting away from the city.

No comments: