Sunday, January 10, 2010

Harlem Hill

2010 Mileage: 136

I was finally able to get some real time in the saddle today. I wanted to ride Saturday but was instead stuck in front of a computer screen learning how to create and publish a website through a long process of trial and error. Even though it was dark by the time I left work tonight and I had nobody to ride with I still just wanted to spend some time on the bike.

I headed for Central Park with no real goal in mind and started on my first loop. I didn't think I would have time to get in that many laps so at the north end after doing Harlem Hill once I decided to loop back and do a repeat or two. Next thing I knew I was on repeat number six and decided to keep going from there and make it an even ten times around the Harlem Hill loop in Central Park today. I finished my lap and headed home for 32 miles on the day and about two hours in the saddle.

For some strange reason Harlem Hill always seemed like a challenge to me before today. It is not very steep or long (about 1/3 mile and 4.4% avg grade), especially compared to my favorite climb in the area, Alpine Hill Climb (1.4 miles and 7.3% avg grade). Maybe it is that I know I should be able to climb Harlem Hill faster if I would just lose a few lbs. where as Alpine makes everyone suffer (in a good way) regardless. Well the goal today wasn't speed but the climbs felt good and I'm not feeling it yet. Although I hope I do feel it in the morning, a little suffering means you are doing something right.

No comments: