Saturday, February 20, 2010

Out To Nyack

2010 Mileage: 1021
Yesterday was my longest ride of the year so far at 71 miles. I rode out to Upper Nyack and back with a stop at Bunbury's Coffee Shop in Piermont for lunch. The ride was a decent pace considering I was on the beater bike with cross tires. I crossed the bridge shortly behind a couple guys from a local team and used them to pace myself for most of the ride. Let's just say they were less than nice. When I let them know I didn't want to draft or anything and would stay out of the way but just keep pace with them they looked at the bike I was on and remarked "good luck on that bike." It wasn't really much of a problem keeping up and then when a gap was created between the two guys I asked the guy in the back if he wanted a pull up to his friend. He then told me to "not get in his way." At this point I decided I wanted nothing more to do with these guys and the pace setting wasn't worth it. On "that bike" I left the two of them and there full Dura Ace carbon bikes with PowerTap rear hubs behind as soon as we hit the next climb and didn't see them again. I thought I was out of shape but I actually felt good on the day. That also could have been from the overwhelming sense of satisfaction I got from being able to keep up with and then be able to drop those guys while riding an old hybrid bike conversion with drop bars and a rear rack. The knee felt great and it was a fun ride.

It continued to be a good day off as Linz and I enjoyed a nice dinner together and then Per and Luca came over to hang out and have a couple beers.

On a side note Per's wife Jo (an avid runner) has recently started a blog so you should go check her out. The link is to the right under Motivation. She is running two races this weekend so she'll probably have some good material to write about.

1 comment:

)-]]]]:- said...

Yeah, right! You go check out my wife?! You do that and I'll meet you in the dark...!

Naw, just kidding.
I also did the run today (10mi) in Prospect Park, and it felt good. it was a beautiful day too, but now my knees are a little tired.

Looking forward to the bike again.

cheers///