Thursday, August 12, 2010

Keeping Things In Perspective

2010 Mileage: 3660

This post should probably just be about two things, my favorite Hells Kitchen burrito joint burnt down this morning and I went to a Rapha Cycle Club event tonight to "check out" bike snob. Both are very noteworthy as La Paloma was an amazing little Mexican restaurant run by great people that I got carry out from at least once a week and although the pictures don't do it justice this is what it currently looks like.And the building above.

I wish them a speedy recovery.

The bike snob event was fun although I did miss the reading which I heard was rather humorous. Through brief conversation he was also a lot nicer and less arrogant in person than I was expecting even though I I didn't want to get too close during conversation since we were both wearing plum colored t-shirts and somewhat matched. There was also about 1/10th the crowd I expected when I got there (a little late) which I guess was a good thing based on the crowd that can hang out at Rapha (and is the direction that this post is heading in).

With the place rather empty and the latest Mario Cipollini bikes video (that has been popping up on blogs left and right like this one) playing I managed to get in to a rather in depth conversation about carbon fiber frames with Derrick from Rapha. He had some good arguments regarding tube shape importance and builder experience, and my arguments were regarding the human element involved and the error that can occur due to that. It was never an argument but actually a rather civil conversation between two people who don't know each other well enough to argue. It was also cut rather short as I was realizing what I was discussing. Our conversation was regarding bikes that a majority of the public will never purchase and I was sitting in a cafe/clothing store that carries cycling apparel that I (a bike shop manager who spends way too much on this stuff) won't even spend my money on. I realize that I am not Rapha's target demographic but at the same time this helped me with a quick reality check. As someone who hopes to open their own shop one day I need to remember to see things from the right perspective. Understanding the intricacies of high end products is important (as well as interesting to me) but cycling is fun and needs to remain that way otherwise selling bikes becomes like selling used cars. I am not a salesman, I am simply someone who loves bicycles and is lucky enough to make a living selling them. I realize I am once again rambling and I have been doing that a fair amount in my posts lately but I hope you understand what I am getting at. The pure joy that can come from cycling is why I am so in love with it at the most grass roots level and I want to make sure that as long as I am in this industry I don't become jaded or feel above the normal consumer like I have seen so many people become. It is because of them that this industry that I both love and make my livelihood from exists.

On a side note Per got back from Germany today and I am looking forward to seeing him back in the shop tomorrow. We have a lot of hanging out to do over the next two weeks before I vacate the city. And by hanging out I mean riding and drinking.

1 comment:

Per said...

Nice to be back! Drinking and riding sounds like a plan, and analyzing the industry aswell...

Here's what made me laugh HARD this morning! Check it out. And note the "out of control - rider" on his folding bike surrounded by what is close to 40 cars in
minute 0:12!
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=425696783983
Thanks CBS2!