Monday, August 16, 2010

Feeling Like A Tourist

2010 Mileage: 3676I had another weekend of very little time (actually none in this case) on the bike. Instead with Linz's family in town I visited the places in the city that I typically avoid, namely Times Square and Little Italy. I also managed to talk them in to a wonderful detour to Zum Schneider on Friday night for some fine German beer. Lindsay's Dad and I seemed to be enjoying the beer more than the others and it was also showing on Saturday morning (at least for me). We also got a look at the rather incredible view of what is going on at the WTC site from their hotel room window at the Millennium Hilton. Like I said I typically avoid these places in the city and although I'm not really one for crowds it was fun to play tourist in my own city for a bit. It was especially cool to see how excited Andrea (Lindsay's cousin) got about everything since it was her very first trip to NYC. Makes me realize a lot of the incredible sites in this city that I sometimes have taken for granted. You probably recognize were Linz is at in the pic above and below we have Little Italy and the WTC view from her parents hotel room. I guess we decided to continue the theme of the weekend because after her family hit the road mid-day on Sunday we decided to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. It is something that the two of us have been talking about doing for a while since we have crossed on bicycles before but never really walked it just to walk it and we really enjoyed it. We had planned on getting pizza at Grimaldi's Pizzeria over on the Brooklyn side but with the wait at what was looking like well over an hour we decided to just head back and eat at Harry's (always a good place for pizza).We took a minute to check out the merry-go-round that will be installed in Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Playing tourist and snapping some shots yesterday made me realize that there are some sights that I am really taking for granted so I am vowing to take more pictures over the course of my final two weeks living here in the city. One day this week I am actually planning to walk my normal morning commute to get a different look at it and hopefully take some good pictures. My daily commute is only about five miles but I pass some pretty incredible sights on a daily basis that I suppose I will be sharing with you soon.

Now it is time to head to Dean & Deluca to pick up a few items to make dinner for the wife and I.

No comments: