Sunday, July 25, 2010

The End Of An Era

2010 Mileage: 3377

This morning I enjoyed breakfast with Lindsay while we watched Lance Armstrong take his final laps around the Champs Elysees on a bicycle. This was (once again) his last Tour de France and it was almost painful to watch. Lance has been a hero to so many people (including me) and the way he ended his career was so uncharacteristic of everything he did to climb to that iconic position. Through watching this whole tour I have felt at a loss for words to describe how I have felt about his performance. On one hand he still managed to be complete and somewhat compete in the most difficult bicycle race in the world. Luck was not on his side and he stuck it out anyways. But on the other hand we had come to believe that Lance was an unstoppable force and he would go out on top because he was Lance Armstrong and that was just what he did, he won. I am starting to ramble and you can obviously see that watching a hero of mine end his career in this fashion still has me a bit confused. Atleast he got to stand on that podium one last time with the Radioshack team. I got to see Lance take those laps around the Champs Elysees when he won his 7th tour and below you can see some pictures (of pictures) that I took when I was there.
Now we are going to watch our hero take on another battle with the witchhunt being led by Jeff Novitzky of the FDA. He and Floyd want to make sure there names are on the front page of every major paper in this country (and I despise them for it). I want our sport to be clean as much as anyone else but testing is the answer to that, not dragging the sport through the mud with a bunch of bogus third hand accounts from confessed liars and cheats. For the good of the sport Floyd Landis needs to crawl in to a hole and never come back out.

No comments: