Thursday, February 10, 2011

Florida Recap

2011 Mileage: 747

Well that trip went by way too quickly. Six days in Florida was not long enough, but we definitely made the most of our time down there. My grandparents took great care of us and made sure we were always well fed. Grandpa even got me out for 9 holes of golf and I was content with the 49 I shot. Lindsay got in a good amount of beach time and a little shopping as well. And I got in lots of time in the saddle. 350 miles to be exact. My long day was Saturday at 110 miles. Monday was a recovery day with 50 easy miles but the rest of the time was rip your legs off fast with the Naples Velo group ride. I couldn't believe how fast these group rides were. I thought Friday was fast with a pace of 24-25 mph. Saturday was Ft Myers Beach and back (about 45 miles) at 27-29mph and I followed that up with another 30 mile group ride and then another 35 on my own to put my day at 110 and still home by 1. Sunday was a similar pace for over 60 miles, with the paceline surging up to 32+ mph for the last 15 miles or so. That was brutal after my long day Saturday. Monday I took it easy and explored all the incredible homes out in the Port Royal area. Considering the economic downturn it is amazing how much new construction is going on in an area where you can spend over $10M on a lot alone. Then Tuesday was a simulated crit. Similar pace as Sunday, 27-29 with surges up in to the low 30's. What I was having the hardest time with was cornering at this pace. It forced me to put out more effort than necessary since I would get gapped off on the corners and need to fight my way back up to the wheel in front of me. Again I was topped out at over 35 on the final sprint and it wasn't enough. I also might have jumped a little too early but I still made a good go of it. All in all it was a great trip and great riding. I accomplished my mileage goal for the trip, even though I rode a lot harder/faster than I had anticipated.Now it is back to the cold weather with a group ride tonight. It is supposed to be a lovely 12 degrees outside, a little different than the 70 degree temps I've been riding in but it will have to do.

No comments: