Tuesday, March 27, 2012

NY STS

First bicycle race of 2012 is in the books. However, unlike most Michigan racers, I wasn’t at Barry-Roubaix last weekend. I was in NYC for a bachelor party over the weekend and decided to try my hand at the NY Spring Training Series race in Central Park on Saturday morning. I’m not sure what made me think that it would be a good idea to do a bike race while on a bachelor party, but I did it anyways.

Needless to say my 5AM wake up came way too quick on Saturday (actually some of the guys weren’t even to bed yet) but I got suited up and was on my way to the park by 5:30. I was at the registration tent by 6 and after getting my number pinned on met up with Kate, Andrew & Andrew’s brother Chris. Andrew was there to race the Cat 5 race and Kate & Chris were there to cheer us on.

6:45 rolled around and things actually got going on time. The sun wasn’t even fully up yet and I was already racing. Things were pretty much business as usual in a Cat 3/4 race, except a bigger field than I’m accustomed to (107 racers lined up for my race alone). There were constant attacks and breaks but none really strong enough to get more than a 5-10 second gap and none staying away for all that long. I was part of a brief one on the start of the third lap but it was just like any of the others really. Things went by fairly quickly and uneventfully and next thing I know we are inside 2 miles from the finish and then crash number one happens. Not sure what caused it but I watched the guy go down and I’m sure he didn’t get up quick. I get by and am sitting in alright position, but I need to work my way further up if I’m going to have any chance at the sprint. As I’m working my way up another crash happens just to my left and this one ends up as a pile up. I get by but not without seriously checking my speed and losing the small group that was in front of the crash. I chase back on just in time to pass a couple guys at the line, but not in time to have any real go at a podium spot. Oh well, that’s bike racing. Results still haven’t been posted but I’m guessing I rolled in somewhere just inside the top 20. Not a bad result for the field size but a little tough to take when I crossed the line with so much left in the tank.

After the race we all enjoyed breakfast at a café a block from the park sitting at a table outside and enjoying the great weather. Then it was back to the nonsense of the bachelor party, none of which will get mentioned here at all.

First race is out of the way and now it’s time to get some wins so I can hopefully get my upgrade sometime soon. Next up is a couple more Spring Series races this weekend, Waterford Saturday and Ann Arbor Sunday.

No comments: