Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Different Kind of Racing

The past two weekends I’ve competed in two races, and neither of them were bike races. Anything I can do to get the motivation going I guess.
Last weekend was a stair climb race at the RenCen in Detroit. 70 stories in 6:36 and 2nd fastest time overall. The certificate I got at the race said 3rd overall but they found an error in the timing and changed the results. Not too shabby considering I didn’t climb a single stair to train for it (I didn’t specifically train for it at all, but I do train a lot for other things). I have to say that was quite possibly the toughest 7 minutes of physical activity I have ever done. If cyclocross is “an hour in hell” I’m really not sure what to classify stair climbs as.
Then Sunday we had some amazing weather here for the Corktown 5k also down in Detroit. I lined up with 7,000 other people to give my first ever competitive 5k a try, again without any specific training. I run a couple days a week but that is just to make sure I’m ready for the marathon so this speed thing was something totally different for me. I ended up finishing in 20:05, good enough for 144th overall and 18th in my age group. Again a pretty good result all things considered.
Then I got home and put in a couple hours in the saddle because Sunday was just too nice not to be outside. First ride of the year in shorts is officially in the books (and I haven't even shaved my legs yet).
First (bicycle) race of the year is now less than two weeks away. The season will be upon us before we know it, and the weather seems to be agreeing with that.

No comments: