Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spring Fling & Paris to Ancaster

This past weekend was a tough weekend in the saddle. Things started off with the final Waterford Spring Series race of the year on Saturday. The expected rain (that never came) kept the field a little smaller than usual with maybe 40 people showing up. The race was pretty tough right from the gun and I didn’t exactly race my smartest race which I’m sure didn’t help. Less than ten minutes in a pair of Lathrup riders went up the road so I bridged up along with Simonson and after a couple of laps we were back in the field, and for some reason I was already feeling that effort. The field continued to split and come back together almost the entire race and the pace was really high. I also found myself at the front of whatever group I was in more than I probably should have been, but it was a training race and I certainly got my money’s worth in that regard. I ended up coming in alone after a split in my group happened that I missed getting on the back of but my efforts to chase broke me away from the others who missed out. I finished on the lead lap, but nowhere near Simonson who took the win. I rolled in for 16th on the day.

Sunday was my second trip to Paris to Ancaster and this version proved to be just about as wet and muddy as last year. I rode up with Mike right after Waterford and the trip went pretty smoothly, up until the sky decided to open up and start pouring just as we were about to warm up. Still we got a good warm up in and despite the hard effort on Saturday the legs were feeling pretty good. Courtesy of my top 100 placing in 2011 I managed to get a spot in the front corral for the start. I still got to the line later than I would’ve liked and was lined up at the back of the first 100 but still a better position than last year. Things started off pretty quick but then as soon as we bottlenecked on to the rail trail section the pace dropped but there was no where to go to move up. I was further back than I wanted to be and as soon as we hit the first loose climb somebody in front of me couldn’t ride it and the whole group was off and running. The leaders were already gone at this point so all you could do was get with the best group you could and chase. There were two groups up the road but no more than 20 guys ahead of my group so I knew I was still in pretty good position. From there it was ride as hard as possible through the crazy terrain that makes up the P2A course, dirt roads, two track, rail trails, single-track, farmers fields and mud chutes. I was riding well and we were picking off riders here and there until after a rough single track section I drop my chain. There goes that group. Another group passes me and as soon as I get the chain back on (which took longer than I’d like due to it getting wedged between my bash guard and chainring) I chased hard to get on the back of them. I’m not happy I lost my first group but I was still in pretty good position and feeling alright. As we started going through the final mud chutes that group started to split and I was off the front of it with one other rider. Then it happened, just under 3k from the finish, my race was over. I went in to the last trail section, dumped gears and my rear wheel locked up. The rear derailleur went in to my rear wheel and I knew there was no way the bike was rideable anymore. I shouldered the bike (since the back wheel couldn’t turn) and walked/jogged the last 3k. It was rather depressing watching all those people pass me, but that’s bike racing. I still managed to cross the line in 2:16:42 good enough for 127th out of 1,275 finishers overall and 25th out of 120 in men’s 20-29. Not the result I wanted, especially based on how the legs were feeling but all things considered a good finish.

Then it was attempt to cobble the bike back together so Mike and I could ride the 20 miles back to our car that was parked at the start. This didn't really work so well and after we were about half way back and stopping every mile or less because something else wasn't working Mike took the keys and went on without me. It wouldn't be a trip to a race with Mike without something going wrong, last year Naish's wheel fell off the roof on the 403 after this very same race. It's always an adventure.

Next up I'm thinking about crossing the border to race again, this time a little closer to home with the Ciociaro crit series over in Windsor on Thursday. Then it will be a little break from the bike as I spend next week in Ireland on vacation with the family. I don't know if a week of Guinness and Irish food will be great for my cycling form but I'm sure it will be worth it.

1 comment:

)-]]]]:- said...

Cross bike rear derailleur again? Get rid of that thing! Nice work, i finished a MTB race running the last half lap with a snapped chain last year. Sucked, but still for the position i was in, not bad--
You have fun in Europe, I am sure you 'll enjoy!
All the best,
Per & Elliot